1. What is Mobile Number Portability?Mobile Number Portability is a system that enables you to move to your preferred network without changing your phone number.
2. When would this be implemented?Mobile Number Portability is expected to be operational in July 2011 and will remain permanent thereafter.
3. How often can a subscriber change networks?A subscriber can change to another network after being active on the present network for at least 30days.However, if the subscriber feels misled by his new network the subscriber can request to be restored to their previous network.
4. How long would it take for the porting process to be completed?The National Communications Authority has directed that all porting requests should be completed within 24hours.
5. How do I port to MTN?It’s so simple. Send your phone (with SIM) to any MTN Service Centers near you. The Service Centre Representative will verify your ownership of the number and give you a Porting Request Form to fill to initiate the porting process.The Service Centre Representative will then issue you with an MTN SIM Card which will be activated with your number from your old network once the port request is approved by your old network. Remember to take along a valid Identity Card (Driver’s License, Voter’s ID, Passport, NHIS Card or National Identification Card).
6. Do I have to pay to port to MTN? No. Porting in to MTN is absolutely free in addition to many other offers on the number 1 network.
7. What grounds would a subscriber be refused to port his or her number?
Any other reason as may be directed by the National Communications Authority.
8. What happens to the airtime/credit and contacts on a phone when a number is ported? Would the subscriber retain credits and contacts on the phone?Subscribers are expected to use up any airtime on their phones before porting to MTN. Additionally, subscribers are advised to move all their contacts onto their handsets (MTN Service Centre Representatives will assist you). On porting to MTN, you will enjoy an initial free Phone Backup service so your phone contacts can be stored safely
9. Can I port my number if I owe my current network or enjoying Overdraft? Porting does not release a customer from any contractual obligations or debt a customer owes to a former network. Bills should be paid and deposits refunded (for Postpaid) or accounts in negative should be restored to zero (for prepaid subscribers enjoying Call Overdraft Service). A Post-paid Customer will receive a final bill for unpaid calls made before the period porting is completed.
10. Why should subscribers stay or move to MTN from other networks?With over Nine Million customers, MTN offers the best value which includes
11. What is MTN’s position on MNP?MTN fully supports Mobile Number Portability. We see it as an opportunity to welcome more people onto the Number 1 Network in Ghana. On MTN you not only enjoy the widest coverage but also the best value added services by far. Over nine million customers can all not be wrong. Move to MTN now and experience the best value for money. Life is always richer with MTN.Call 111 today for more information.